Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Crème Brule French Toast



Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and I never skip it.  But it's rarely more complicated than a bowl of cereal and a glass of orange juice.  Then I came across Crème Brule French Toast at a friend's party and fell in love with it.  Once I figured out how to make it myself, I feel even more in love.  You see, I like to EAT, not COOK when I wake up.  But with this, all the work is done the day before, and all I do is pop it in the oven when I wake up.  Easy.  It tastes like French Toast, with a surprise Crème Brule layer on the bottom.  The bright red strawberries I had in my fridge and the compliments from my breakfast mates were just more reasons to smile that morning!  Oh--and if you make a big batch, the leftovers can give you great breakfasts for many days. Don't worry, the recipe is below:

Crème Brule French Toast

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon syrup
  • French or Italian bread (1-1.5 inch thick slices)
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup half and half
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon orange liquor or orange juice
  • cinnamon to taste (optional)
Instructions
  • Melt butter in saucepan
  • Add syrup and brown sugar
  • Stir until sugar is dissolved
  • Pour liquid into bottom of glass dish
  • Arrange bread on top of sugar Mixture
  • Mix together eggs, half and half, vanilla, salt, and OJ (and cinnamon)
  • Pour over bread
  • Soak overnight in fridge
  • Bake 35 minutes at 350deg 

No comments:

Post a Comment